2

Resolved

Web help screen error (30-Minute Walkthrough)

description

In 30-Minute Walkthrough document, on page 3, step 11 says to select the end point and click the Browse button to Web help screen for the new service. However when I click this button, it says "The web page can not be found". Both MSE Runtime Server and MSE Catalog Server window services are running.
 
Can some body throw light on this issue?
 
Thanks.

comments

williamo wrote Nov 15, 2007 at 5:43 AM

This is usually caused by a configuration error. Did you associate your endpoint with your runtime server? Did you define an endpoint that can be resolved to your system?

rrudracodeplex wrote Nov 15, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Yes. Yes. On the second one, I defined it as: http://<mymachineName>:8090/myservice (as described in page2). This end point is supposed to be listen on by the MSE runtime service, Then what else could be the problem?

williamo wrote Nov 16, 2007 at 4:17 AM

I assume the Runtime Server is running? If so, restart it. If that works, something isn't working with the eventing. If it still doesn't work, check the event log to see if the runtime is throwing an exception. If nothing else is evident, some other service or firewall must be blocking the request - try another port number.

rrudracodeplex wrote Nov 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM

You were right on. I fired up TCP View to see if 8090 (as shown in documentation) is taken by some other program. Sure enough it was MSE Catalogue Service. When I changed it to 8091, every thing worked fine. I guess it is a documentation bug after all. It is odd that there were no errors in the event log to this effect though.

Thanks for your help.

williamo wrote Nov 20, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Ugh. Good Catch! I will make a note of it and we will update the docs. The problem with those port errors is nobody knows that it is an issue. The endpoint on the runtime engine isn't getting the request and the Service Catalog isn't getting it because the path isn't right.

rrudracodeplex wrote Nov 20, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Another one. Since I changed the port to 8091 (as explained in previous comments), the CalculatorWCF2.exe.config file has a service end point with 8091 port in it. This needed to be modified because of my change. If I changed my port to something else, then it would have been ok.

Mashton wrote Nov 30, 2007 at 3:16 AM

Restarting the MSE Runtime Server service worked for me.

williamo wrote Dec 4, 2007 at 2:48 PM

There are a few different errors that can cause this issue. The original was due to a port conflict which should only occur on XP, not Windows 2003 or Vista. This can also be caused by not having the runtime server started or not correctly configuring the notifications on the runtime server. You can refer to the Technical Guide for more troubleshooting issues.

wrote Dec 13, 2007 at 5:46 PM

wrote May 31, 2008 at 12:13 AM

wrote Feb 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

wrote May 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

wrote May 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

wrote Jun 14, 2013 at 7:07 AM