Automation of Administrative Tasks

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone has tried automating or scripting MSE tasks.  For instance, i would like to be able to create several endpoints with some common configuration information without using the Model Viewer.  It seems like this should be possible through the service interface or maybe the metadata import/export function.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Yes, that is possible and Microsoft consulting has done that for customers.

You can use the Service Tester to hit the Service Catalog Metadata -> http://yourserver:9000/ServiceCatalog/mex. Be careful while creating the model components items as these must be created and associated in the correct order.  you can us PowerScript to script it all if you'd like.

Developer
Jan 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM

You can also look at a new command line tool we have introduced in the December released called MSECMD.  This tool will be in the installation folder, but unfortunately the installer doesn't include the supporting help documentation.  I've posted this on the download page (MSECMD.chm).  This tool may be a good starting point for some of your automation activities.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM

It looks like the .chm is invalid.  The structure is there but none of the content is displaying.

Developer
Jan 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM

save the .chm file locally, then right-click and select properties.  On the general properties pages click "Unblock".  After that the chm should open ok and you'll see all the content.