December Releace problem with Repository

Topics: Technical Questions
Dec 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Hey ,  I'm trying to upgrade to december releace but of course I would like to keep the metadata info. I did the SQL database backup, uninstall May MSE  , install MSE December, restore database but I can`t  see anything  in the MSE Administrator Tool.  Another way is to export the data to file in May MSE may , import in MSE Dec. but in the import process I get the error "Object not set to an instance of an object".

which would be the proper procedure to preserve meta data?.

 

Thanks.

n.s.


Coordinator
Dec 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Per the release notes, we do not have a "standard" routine for migrating the data between versions at this time.  However, it could be done fairly easily by modifying the May09 export file (xml format) to make it compatible with this version.  The only difference will be the new entity attributes, especially the new action (OperationFQN) attribute on the operation.  That will be giving you the null object error you are encountering.  Below are the details for modifying the May export format to be compliant with the December import:

1.  Prior to each OperationName within the OperationVersion node, insert the OperationFQN node seen below and use the operation name as the FQN value:

<a:OperationFQN>[opName]</a:OperationFQN>

2.  For each Operations node, you'll need to complete the reference by inserting the matching FQN between </a:EndpointList> and <a:Policy...   Below is a template for that node.

<a:FQN>[opName]</a:FQN>

Every other attribute is optional, so those are the only changed required.  Let us know if you run into any other issues.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Hi, I'm having the same issue. I made the suggested changes to the .mse file, but I'm still getting the error. Here's a snippet that includes my changes (to be sure I understood your suggestions here). This is a child of /EntityDataGraph:

<Operations>
 <a:Operation>
  <a:Description i:nil="true"/>
  <a:ID>c8255371-3ba3-46e8-b26d-1e49b2c535da</a:ID>
  <a:Name>TableInfoLoad</a:Name>
  <a:EndpointList>
   <a:Endpoints>
    <a:EndpointListElement>
     <a:Description i:nil="true"/>
     <a:ID>e003c4fe-8773-4531-a55b-1b24b5a9dda3</a:ID>
     <a:Name i:nil="true"/>
     <a:Port>0</a:Port>
     <a:URI>DataDictionarySvcs</a:URI>
    </a:EndpointListElement>
   </a:Endpoints>
  </a:EndpointList>
  <a:FQN>TableInfoLoad</a:FQN>
  <a:Policy i:nil="true"/>
  <a:Versions>
   <a:OperationVersion>
    <a:Description i:nil="true"/>
    <a:ID>8195025f-8abc-41fa-a073-3d7ca9b11215</a:ID>
    <a:Name i:nil="true"/>
    <a:AutoResponse i:nil="true"/>
    <a:IsActive>true</a:IsActive>
    <a:IsPublic>true</a:IsPublic>
    <a:IsTestable>false</a:IsTestable>
    <a:OperationID>c8255371-3ba3-46e8-b26d-1e49b2c535da</a:OperationID>
    <a:OperationFQN>TableInfoLoad</a:OperationFQN>
    <a:OperationName>TableInfoLoad</a:OperationName>
    <a:Policy i:nil="true"/>
    <a:RequestHeaders/>
    <a:RequestMsg>
     .....
    </a:RequestMsg>
    <a:RequestTransformXSLT i:nil="true"/>
    <a:Resource>
     .....
    </a:Resource>
    <a:ResponseHeaders/>
    <a:ResponseMsg>
     .....
    </a:ResponseMsg>
    <a:ResponseTransformXSLT i:nil="true"/>
    <a:SoapFaults/>
    <a:Version>
     <a:Build>0</a:Build>
     <a:Major>1</a:Major>
     <a:Minor>0</a:Minor>
     <a:Qfe>0</a:Qfe>
    </a:Version>
   </a:OperationVersion>
  </a:Versions>
 </a:Operation>

 

Thanks

- Seth

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I had issues too.  I had to recreate everything. :(  Also I am having trouble exporting anything with XSL transformations...just doesn't import back.