Error importing MSE Repository metadata from file

Topics: Technical Questions, Usage Scenarios
Nov 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I exported the metadata of the MSE catalog to file in one server and tried to import it in another server (we are changing servers). The export went fine, the import, not so well...

After selecting the file, choosing the endpoints to import and confirm it, it gave an error: Failed to save MSE archive due to error [Object not set to an instance of an object.].

Looking in DebugView, we have this:

An unexpected error occurred in Catalog Service Operation [SaveSchemasFromImport]. Error Detail [Exception Information Type[NullReferenceException] Source[Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.Module] Message[Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] StackTrace[ at Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.Module.Business.SchemaManager.SaveSchemaObjectFromImport(SchemaObject schemaObject, Guid schemaID, Guid parentID, Dictionary`2 schemaObjectIDMap, SqlTransaction txn, SqlConnection conn)

Can you look at this?

Another question: what is the best way to deploy between environments? Metadata export/import?

Editor
Nov 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Can you send me the export file which is causing the error?

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I'm sorry, but that file was deleted. After deleting the entire mse repository and starting over again, but this time without a few test services that were deleted also, the export/import succeeded, so it was something in the schemas that was provoking the error.