Production Ready?

Topics: Usage Scenarios
Oct 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Hi there

First off, well done on MSE.  I've been playing around with it for about a week now, and am delighted to find, that after my little trip through MSE, I've found that it meets about 80% of our needs.  (And am quite sure that after some digging and learning, it'll meet even more)

We're busy with a project that would benefit largely from a Service Intermediary.  Our long term goal is to have an ESB with Biztalk providing the Process Execution / Orchestration (async) / Rules Engine / BAM.  We've been looking around for something that would "fit" our needs for a Mediator (providing routing, Msg transforms, security, etc).  So, we are pointed at MSE, and as previously stated, NICE!

One problem.  It's CTP.  We're looking at going into production in around 4 months.

My question is:

How bad would it be to implement MSE in a production environment.  We plan on doing significant Stress testing to check for mem leaks, performance issues, etc.  But are there any GOTCHA's? 

Is there anything we should be looking out for, so that we can either compensate or modify source?

Are there any other sites out there using MSE in a production environment?  What have you learned?

Eagerly awating a response.

Developer
Oct 27, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback and we are happy to hear the MSE is an answer to many of your challenges.

The question about ready for production is relatively common.  We are aware of companies and consulting firms that have used the CodePlex release for production solutions. 

Officially, the MSE on CodePlex is intended to allow the broader community to experience and provide feedback on capabilities Microsoft Services has been developing over a number of years to address the challenges that exist with service oriented solutions.  The MSE serves as the core for a Microsoft Services Solution Offering that provides more built-in functionality, access to the full source code, and can be supported by Microsoft Services Premier Support.  This provides greater assurance to customers that are interested in using the capabilites of the MSE in production environments.  The solution offering requires engaging with your local Microsoft Consulting Services office.

Without going that route, we are happy to respond to discussion items posted on CodePlex.  We do our best to respond and provide guidance and recommendations in a timely manner.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Hey.  We're looking to implement this soon at the University of Cincinnati.  So yeah definitely if anyone has any tips or tricks from their own experience it would be very helpful.  I'll try to keep the list updated with anything I come up against as well.

Matt

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Hey.  We're looking to implement this soon at the University of Cincinnati.  So yeah definitely if anyone has any tips or tricks from their own experience it would be very helpful.  I'll try to keep the list updated with anything I come up against as well.

Matt

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for the reply, botto. 

We're engaging with Microsoft Services at the moment, and it appears we may well be moving forward with the MSE.  Any gotchas we find, I'll post up here for everyone to learn from as well.