Unable to configure Service Catalog

Topics: Technical Questions, Usage Scenarios
Aug 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I am evaluating the usage of MSE (May 2009 CTP) . I could install it on my Windows XP SP3 machine with SQL Express 2005 with default options (except for SQL Express instance).

When I launch the "MSE Administration Tool", I see the error message "Error while connecting to Catalog" on the bottom right corner. As per the stack trace below (extracted the first event from series of errors in Event Viewer), the cause seems to be the missing service 'net.pipe://localhost/ServiceCatalog/Pipe' on my local machine.

The Installation Guide or other documentation (including videos) or previous posts on this topic didn't help me progress further. Both the Windows Services (MSE Catalog Server and MSE Runtime Server) are started, was hoping one of these services would host the Service Catalog; but doesn't seem so.

Can you help me configure the missing service (Service Catalog)? Am new to service virtualization, would be glad to provide you more details if needed.

Thanks - Channs.

Stack Trace:

Source: MSE Model Viewer

Description: <LogEvent ClassName='Microsoft.MSE.Tools.ModelViewer.SCDAL' EventGuid='0d86b431-3568-41bf-a5b2-4f31af19206a'> <EventMessage>Failed to communicate to Service Catalog with EndPointConfiguration Named[NetNamedPipeBinding_ServiceModel]</EventMessage> <EventException>System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/ServiceCatalog/Pipe that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/ServiceCatalog/Pipe' could not be found on your local machine.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnectionInitiator.GetPipeName(Uri uri)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeConnectionPoolRegistry.NamedPipeConnectionPool.GetPoolKey(EndpointAddress address, Uri via)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOpenOnce.System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ICallOnce.Call(ServiceChannel channel, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.MSE.Tools.ModelViewer.SCProxy.ServiceModel.ListMSEBindings()
   at Microsoft.MSE.Tools.ModelViewer.SCDAL.InitializeCatalogConnection(String endpointConfigurationName)</EventException> </LogEvent>

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM

The Serivce Catalog is hosted by the Catalog Server. Can you check the event log for messages from the Catalog Server? Alternatively, you can try to change the binding that the Model Viewer is using to connect to the Service Catalog.

-Chris

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:46 AM

@Chris - Thanks for the reply.

I figured out the cause of the issue. I had inadvertantly hosted a NetTcpBinding based WCF service in a Windows (NT) service on port 9001 in my machine.

From the event log, I saw that "MSE Runtime Server" service uses the same port (9001) and hence could not be started. Once I stopped my other Windows (NT) service and restarted my machine, the "MSE Adminstration Tool" works correctly and the earlier error does not occur.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I'm glad you got it resolved.

-Chris