Admin Tool is a CPU hog

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM
I appreciate the development of this product, and we are moving it into production soon.  The runtime and repository functionality seem to work very well.  My problems are with the new Admin Tool.

Is there going to be a release in the near future to address bugs with the Admin Tool?

It hogs CPU resources on a single CPU machine or a VM.

Other oddities begin when this happens.  Like the Remove policies context menu fails to popup when trying to remove some policies.
Developer
Apr 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Can you tell us how many services/schemas/operations etc are there in the repository that you are trying to manage?
Also what is OS that model viewer is running on.
Apr 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM
In addition to what Naveed asked, coul you provide specific details on what bugs you are experiencing in the Admin Tool?

also, remember to be in the right "Layout" (End to End Item Management, Policy Management, etc...), because some menus will not be available based on the layout.  In the "End to End mgmt" you can do most of the things you might want to do such as associating/removing policies.

May 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM
We only have a simple test schema running on the machine, it's pretty bare.

The OS is Windows 2003 R2, but it's running under VMWare with 1GB of RAM. 
Developer
May 4, 2009 at 9:36 PM
We've observed the higher than expected CPU cycles for the Model Viewer as well and will continue to investigate.
Jul 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM

We have also experienced this issue. Most dramitcally today on a fresh install of Windows 2008 standard (x86) running in VMWare ESXi.

We successfully imported 1 existing service, but have subsequently been unable to configure an endpoint to expose it on due to an almost complete lockup of the UI.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Not being able to modify certain object values just because one isn't in the right layout is a royal PITA. I understand the need for layouts but if an object is visible in a particular layout, why restrict modification of values?

Also, if the animations (fades during cascades and opening sections) could be turned off via an option, that would really speed things up ... while a great feature to some, for most, it's just another thing in the way.

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I agree with latenightcoder. Some of the GUI features feels more like a showoff of WPF and should be optionable. After adding 3-5 services, things tend to get really slow.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM

You can turn off some of the shading and gradient options under Tools|Options and remove item icons under the View menu for a simpler UI experience.  We are aware of the overall performance issues and are continuing to investigate them.  The virtual machine environments appear to be particularly challenging, but we welcome any additional data points that the community can provide.