"The entry '*' has already been added" Error in testing service with MSE Universal Service Tester for v7.0.0.0

Topics: Technical Questions, Usage Scenarios
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:01 AM
I'm getting an error "The entry '*' has already been added. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Service Oriented Infrastructure 7.0.0.0\Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.ServiceHost.exe.Config line 76)" when testing a simple service (CalculatorWCF) using a new MSE Universal Service Tester v7.0.0.0.
When I commented the line #76 in the Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.ServiceHost.exe.config like it is shown below, everything works fine.

<system.net>
  <connectionManagement>
   <!--<add address="*" maxconnection="10"/>-->
  </connectionManagement>
 </system.net>

I believe I remember I had experienced the similiar problem with early version of MSE 6.x., which I "fixed" the same way - by commenting the line in the config file.

Is there something I need to do otherwise? What is implication of removing this line from the config file?

Thanks,
Danny
Mar 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM
Danny,

The maxconnection element sets the maxmum number of outbound simultaneous connections to the "address" in this case any server.

there might be a conflict if this settings is also present in the machine.config.  could you verify if that is the case?
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM
Tony, you're correct.
I did find the maxconnection setting in my machine.config, which is currently set to 25. This should not affect the MSE performance, right?

Thanks,
Danny
Apr 17, 2009 at 4:23 AM
Danny,

well...  it depends on your specific requirements.  recommended values  range from 2-12 * # of CPUs in your machine, but I think you have to determine as you also don't want to create tons of simultaneaous request as that introduced contention for CPU resources.

-tony