This project is read-only.

Ping the Runtime Server

Topics: Technical Questions
Feb 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Is there a way to ping the runtime server, to know if it is configured and running correctly?

The thing is: I'm doing the security walkthrough and everything seemed simple enough, but for some reason I just can't seem to get the endpoint working. I've checked, re-checked and double checked all configurations and restarted the runtime server serivce several times.

I am working from a fresh install so I had to add a Runtime Server definition for the local (NT) service. My guess is that I may have done something wrong there. There are no errors in the event log (other than the errors of the test app not being able to connect).

Is there a checklist somewere, what to do when your endpoint is not working? (that sounds odd ;-)

Here's what I do have:
- Endpoint with two methods. Entered a port number (9700) and a name (Calculator)
- Runtime Server: using the local comuter name as host name and the default net.pipe binding to get to the catalog. Added the endpoint to the runtime.
Feb 13, 2009 at 2:33 AM
I see from another post you've already looked at restarting the MSE Runtime service manually.  You'd have to do this the first time anyway after you define the runtime in the catalog.  When the runtime starts after a fresh installation, it isn't defined in the catalog and doesn't standup its notification endpoint or subscribe to notifications.  (Note this is all greatly improved in the next version).

If you are still experiening a problem check the MSE Runtime Server event log.  The standard Application event log isn't where the runtime logs what it is doing and any problems it has.  Additionally, you can create a folder (c:\temp\logs), restart the runtime and its activity along with the WCF service tracing logs will be written to files... just keep an eye on the files since the service trace log can become large very quickly.

And finally to answer your question, there is no direct Health/Alive check to verify the runtime is up and running or up to date with the current definitions in the repository.  This is something we are considering for a future enhancement.  In the mean time, the event logs and trace files should provide enough information to troubleshoot issues.

Let us know if you are still running into issues.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Thanx, I wasn't aware of the custom event logs.

Turned out that the catalog server was unable to connect to the database. That was fixed after enabling the tcp and pipe protocols in SQL-Server.

But I still can't get the runtime server to host my endpoint.
I've also responded to this discussion because he seems to be having the exact same problem as I have.

BTW: is the next version still scheduled for februari/march?

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:37 AM
Yes, next version due out very, very soon