Multiple Schemas in MSE

Topics: Usage Scenarios, Technical Questions
Feb 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM
I have a client that has MSE in production, but working on future enhancements that require the client to modify the existing Schema to allow for file attachments via web services. They have modified the existing schema and renamed it and imported the operations into MSE as a new version (i.e. changed the version number during the import wizard). However, when they imported the operations as a new version within MSE the schemas appear to be merged (i.e. the old version and the new version are merged together). Note that there are 10 operations, of which, 4 were modified. Are they importing the operations correctly, or can you help us determine the right approach to getting this working.
Developer
Feb 11, 2009 at 8:03 PM
I have a couple of questions here:
1. You mentioned that they renamed the schema; my question is did they rename the schema namespace or just the elements. If they renamed the elements  then those renamed element will be merged with the old schema and I think that's the behavior that you are seeing. If they renamed the namespace then MSE should have created a new schema.If it is not create a new schema after import then we have a problem.

2. As for the operations which are modified, do you see multiple versions of those operations in MMC? Was that the intended goal i.e. to create new versions of existing operations for future support of file attachments?

So far, I do not see problems with your approach i.e. version the interface to support new features and keep backward compatibility. Please let me know if you have any questions.  
Feb 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM
Naveed,

1. The schema namespace was renamed and not the element, and to answer your 2nd question yes there are multiple versions of some of the operations. This is the intended goal as the client needs to be able to support vendors who will be able to send in file attachments and vendors who are unable to do so at this time. From what I can see from the behavior, we import the new version of the operation, and then we see that when pulling up the wsdl for the new endpoint that the new and previous schemas have been merged and a namespace has been specified for the elements. So while transactions are able to pass through, there are schema validation rules that are not being done and serialization issues encountered. I had the team try to delete the previous versions for both the operation and schema from MSE and try re-importing the operations (including the multiple versions) to see if that would work but get the same issue.

BTW...don't know if you remember but you spoke to this client via conference call back in October when we ran into load balancing issues.

- Rama