Where we can see Services - only thro MMC

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:01 AM
Is it possible to see what are the services which are in the MSE ? Only thro MMC or is there any other alternative way to see it. Thanks for your Quick reply and also what are all the main scenerios we can use MSE.
Developer
Nov 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM
The MMC talks to the Service Catalog web services hosted by the MSE Catalog Server windows service.  You can create your own application to go against the Service Catalog web service if you want an alternate way to view the information in the repository.  Out of the box, the MMC is the only tool to view what's in the repository.  However, you could also enable UDDI integration enabling all the endpoints and published operations to be visible through a UDDI portal.  Check out the installation guide for information on UDDI integration.

As for an overview of the main usage sceanrios for the MSE, I would suggest going through the Introduction lab.  It touches on some of the main themes of the MSE.  Service Virtualization enabled by the MSE allows provides the visibility and control many desire in providing a true managed environment for their services.  By visibility and control we mean support for versioning operations, monitoring usage and performance of service implementations, service enablement, and centralized security management across all service implementations regardless of platform or technology.  This is all enabled by applying policies to the services hosted in the MSE.
Nov 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM
Thanks for your quick reply. I understand that the Services are viewed in different ways. My Second Question will be, what are the Key Real Time Scenerios. Since i was asked to give the Demo to the client there they asked what is the Key Real time Scenerios. Since i told the Service Vitualization and Policy scenerios which wasmentioned  in the Lab Exercise. But it was not a convincing answer for them that is what i am putting this questions. I hope you really understand what i meant to say. Please give your thoughts and Valuable suggestions if any.
Developer
Nov 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM
I would suggest finding out what challenges your client currently faces with service development.  The MSE is often able to address the core challenges organizations face when building services.  Many organizations don't have problems with version 1 of their services.  Challenges come when more consumers start using the services and the services need to be revised.  The MSE can help an organization maintain visibility into who is consuming their services and what operations are being utilized.  This can allow them to determine the impact of potential changes as well as control the impact through various versioning techniques including being able to retire old serivce implementations yet still maintain compatibility with consumers of the old services.

In addition, if an organization has systems developed on different technologies and platforms, the MSE can provide a consistent view into the usage of these services as well as centralizing security.  In large organizations it is very difficult to ensure each development team on each different platform is adhering to consistent guidelines for instrumenting, logging, and securing their services.  The MSE can take this burden away from the each development team and help ensure consistency.

Does the organization need to expose services to different consumers with different security requriements?  For example, an internal order processing service might be locked down to certain users in Active Directory, yet the business works with 3rd party vendors and would like them to consume the order processing service as well which would use some other authentication & authorization scheme.  The MSE can help facilitate this without having to deploy the service logic in two different locations.

Finally, through service enablement the MSE can project a web service using your favorite binding regardless of what the implementation logic is... whether it be a database stored procedure, mainframe application, etc.  Sometimes these scenarios are relevant for building out virtual services quickly when the investement to create services would not othewise be justified or where the underlying technology needs to be abstracted away so it can be replaced without affecting consumers.

Hope that helps.
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM
Thanks for your valuable Comments. i got some clues from your point . i will take it forward from that. Thanks for your valuable suggestions.