hosting virtual endpoints for iis hosted wcf services

Topics: Usage Scenarios
Oct 7, 2008 at 7:29 AM
I've just got to grips with creating virtual endpoints for my wcf service with MSE.

So I now have multiple virtual endpoints hosted in MSE for my original wcf service.

Does this mean my original wcf service (and it's associated physical endpoints) are now redundant? I feel they should be as they are essentially 'unmanaged' in terms of MSE. If so how do I prevent clients consuming the physical endpoints and only bind to the virtual ones?

Also my original wcf service was already IIS6 hosted as the intended consumer was a SOAP client. If we standardise on MSE does this mean our physical/original wcf services can be hosted by something other than IIS? if so what would be recommended...console, ws etc?

Regards
Kenny

Developer
Oct 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM
Hi Kenny,
Here are my thoughts on preventing clients to access the unmanaged services directly:
It can be done in multiple ways:
1. Enable Windows authentication for those services and ensure that only ID that MSE Runtime is running under can connect to those directly
2: Insert headers while a messages is passing through the MSE pipeline. Check of rthese headers in the unamanged service implementation and reject any message that is missing that header.
3. Put those services behind a firewall where only MSE Runtime can get to those and no other consumer.

As for hosting, you can use any available host for your servicei.e. WAS (Server 2008), IIS, WIndows Service etc. One you create virtual endpoints for those services thru MSE, then MSE take care of different clients i.e. SOAP, Named Pipe, Net TCP, POX etc.

I hope that helps.
Oct 8, 2008 at 8:04 AM
Thanks Naveed, just the info I was after.

While I'm on - are there plans for more usage documentation on MSE? More scenario walk-throughs would be particularly useful especially around Policies and Channels

Cheers
Kenny

Developer
Oct 10, 2008 at 8:27 PM
You are welcome. Please stay tuned for more information.