Message Exchange Patterns (MEP's)

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:50 PM
I'm taking the approach of using MSE to define contracts first, and then generate "client" and "server" code from that.  This works great if I'm doing a Request-Response pattern.  However, I need to do an In-Only pattern.
If I were writing WSDL, I'd just leave out the response message.
If I was taking the Code-first WCF approach, I'd add the OneWay Attribute.

I'm not sure how to do this when defining operations within the MSE.  I tries not specifying a Response message, but it ended up creating a "virtual void" element (complexType/sequence/noElements).

Any ideas?
Developer
Jun 3, 2008 at 8:57 PM

You should be able to create an operation without defining a response message which is equivalent to WCF OneWay. And the GUI should allow you to do that. Are you using the latest CTP i.e. June 2008?

Developer
Jun 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2008 at 9:38 PM
Just to clarify, in latest MSE CTP (June 2008), if you omit the response message, it should NOT create a virtual void element. What it should create a Oneway operation.
Jun 3, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Sounds great!

Any idea when the new code drop will be up so that the install will work on XP?

naveedzaheer wrote:
Just to clarify, in latest MSE CTP (June 2008), if you omit the response message, it should NOT create a virtual void element. What it should create a Oneway operation.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM
We are targeting a refresh on Friday (6/6/08) to address this and a few more items.

-Chris

djessee wrote:

Sounds great!

Any idea when the new code drop will be up so that the install will work on XP?

naveedzaheer wrote: