This project is read-only.

Upgrading to June 2008 CTP

Topics: Technical Questions
Jun 2, 2008 at 8:47 AM
Hi all,

After the (successfull) installation of the previous version I found out that there was already a new version available, so I wnt ahead and tried to upgrade.

First, I found out (might be a tip for others) that when you performed the installation through the commandline (using msiexec) you also need to do the uninstall the same way (otherwise the SQLEXPRESS database cannot be accessed and the unistall fails).

Now, when performing the installation of the June 2008 CTP, it does not succeed due to a problem occurring in performance counters (Failed to install performance counters (-2147024883))

Basically, I cannot proceed ...

Anyone has a clue?

Regards, Perry
Jun 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM
I have no information, but am receiving the same error.
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Hi Perry-
Can you provide us more information about the system you are trying to install on like the OS version (XP SP2, SP3; Vista RTM, SP1; Server 2003 SP2; Server 2008; etc.)?

If on Vista, please also try to launch the installer from an elevated command prompt.

Also, the 6.2 installer likely left a registry key on your machine that needs to be deleted before the June 2008 CTP will install successfully:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RuntimeServer

Thanks.

PerryBruins wrote:
Hi all,

After the (successfull) installation of the previous version I found out that there was already a new version available, so I wnt ahead and tried to upgrade.

First, I found out (might be a tip for others) that when you performed the installation through the commandline (using msiexec) you also need to do the uninstall the same way (otherwise the SQLEXPRESS database cannot be accessed and the unistall fails).

Now, when performing the installation of the June 2008 CTP, it does not succeed due to a problem occurring in performance counters (Failed to install performance counters (-2147024883))

Anyone has a clue?

Regards, Perry

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM
I'm getting the same thing. 
I deleted the dangling Service reference from the registry.
Windows XP SP2, logged in with admin rights.

Here's a bit of the log file:

Action 10:44:25: RegisterPerfCounterData.
Action 10:44:26: RollbackRegisterPerfCounterData.
Action 10:44:26: InstallServices. Installing new services
Error 1923. Service 'MSE Runtime Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
MSI (s) (28:CC) [10:44:30:143]: Product: Microsoft Managed Services Engine - June 2008 CTP -- Error 1923. Service 'MSE Runtime Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

Are you sure you want to cancel?
Action ended 10:44:31: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 10:44:31: Rollback. Rolling back action:

PerryBruins wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone has a clue?

Regards, Perry

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:59 PM
Here's what I get in the log when the install fails.  I'm installing on XP SP2.

Type:    Warning
Event Source:    LoadPerf
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    2006
Description:
LastCounter and LastHelp values of performance registry is corrupted and needs to be updated. The first and second DWORDs in Data Section are the original values while the third and forth DWORDs in Data Section are the updated new values.

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    LoadPerf
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    3001
Description:
The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 8922, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

Event ID:    3018
Description:
Help index range of service SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSE Messenger\Performance is corrupted. The first DWORD in Data section contains the first index used while the second DWORD in Data section contains last index used.

Event ID:    3009
Description:
Installing the performance counter strings for service MSE Messenger (%2) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

Event Source:    MsiInstaller
Event ID:    10005
Description:
Product: Microsoft Managed Services Engine - June 2008 CTP -- Error 26253. Failed to install performance counters.  (-2147024883         )

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Side note:   If I do a custom install and tell it not to install the Runtime Server, things go just fine.

djessee wrote:
I'm getting the same thing. 
I deleted the dangling Service reference from the registry.
Windows XP SP2, logged in with admin rights.

Here's a bit of the log file:

Action 10:44:25: RegisterPerfCounterData.
Action 10:44:26: RollbackRegisterPerfCounterData.
Action 10:44:26: InstallServices. Installing new services
Error 1923. Service 'MSE Runtime Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
MSI (s) (28:CC) [10:44:30:143]: Product: Microsoft Managed Services Engine - June 2008 CTP -- Error 1923. Service 'MSE Runtime Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

Are you sure you want to cancel?
Action ended 10:44:31: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 10:44:31: Rollback. Rolling back action:

PerryBruins wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone has a clue?

Regards, Perry

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Hi Botto,

Sorry about being a bit vague on my environment ;-)

I am installing on Windows XP SP2, because I am evaluating frameworks to use for our SOA endeavour. Right now I cannot look into the registry key (already at home and all ...) Tomorrow i'll have alook at it and update you. Thanks for your reaction anyways! I hope I can sort out what the problem is since the solution looks very promising.

Regds, Perry

botto wrote:

Hi Perry-
Can you provide us more information about the system you are trying to install on like the OS version (XP SP2, SP3; Vista RTM, SP1; Server 2003 SP2; Server 2008; etc.)?

If on Vista, please also try to launch the installer from an elevated command prompt.

Also, the 6.2 installer likely left a registry key on your machine that needs to be deleted before the June 2008 CTP will install successfully:

Thanks.

PerryBruins wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone has a clue?

Regards, Perry

Jun 3, 2008 at 4:11 AM

I've been able to repro the issue with the performance counter error durring installation.  At the moment it looks like we'll have to update the installer in order for installs on XP to work properly.  We'll continue to work on this, but for the time being you'll need to install on Vista, Server 2003, or Server 2008.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We'll have a fix or work around out soon.

PerryBruins wrote:

Hi Botto,

Sorry about being a bit vague on my environment ;-)

I am installing on Windows XP SP2, because I am evaluating frameworks to use for our SOA endeavour. Right now I cannot look into the registry key (already at home and all ...) Tomorrow i'll have alook at it and update you. Thanks for your reaction anyways! I hope I can sort out what the problem is since the solution looks very promising.

Regds, Perry

botto wrote:

Hi Perry-

Thanks.

PerryBruins wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone has a clue?

Regards, Perry

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:19 PM
Has this issue been resolved?  I'm getting the same error message while installing on XP SP2.
Dec 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Yes, an updated installer was posted on Jun 11th.  We haven't seen this issue come back up since the update.  Can you elaborate on what you are experiencing and post the errors in the install log?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:44 PM

I ran with logging set to verbose and extra debug info output.  Below is a portion of the log.  As I was looking at that info, I solved the problem.

I was doing using the "Custom" option for installation, and when the installer was asking me to "Enter information to connect to database", I was using the SQL Server sa account for the Catalog Service Account.  When the installer was asking me to "Enter information to connect to catalog", I was using the my Windows login account for the Runtime Service Account.  Then I remembered that the Installation Guide said that your Windows credentials have to be a member of the database administrator role on the SQL Server.  So I entered my Windows credentials for both the Catalog Service Account and the Runtime Service Account and made my Windows login a member of the database administrator role on SQL Server, and everything worked fine.

Log File Info:
===============
MSI (s) (30:30) [11:09:56:826]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=RollbackRegisterPerfCounterData,,)
MSI (s) (30:30) [11:09:56:826]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=RollbackRegisterPerfCounterData,ActionType=11521,Source=BinaryData,Target=**********,CustomActionData=**********)
MSI (s) (30:30) [11:09:56:826]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=InstallServices,Description=Installing new services,Template=Service: [2])
MSI (s) (30:30) [11:09:56:826]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=2,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
MSI (s) (30:30) [11:09:56:826]: Executing op: ServiceInstall(Name=Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe,DisplayName=MSE Catalog Server,ImagePath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Managed Services Engine\Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe",ServiceType=16,StartType=2,ErrorControl=1,,,,StartName=sa,Password=**********,Description=Managed Services Engine Catalog Server)
MSI (s) (30:30) [11:10:08:997]: Product: Microsoft Managed Services Engine - June 2008 CTP Refresh -- Error 1923. Service 'MSE Catalog Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

Action ended 11:10:09: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Did anyone ever solve this

I'm havning the same problem, installing on a Win XP (on a virtual server). If you solved it, would you be kind and share your solution?

Here is my log file info (first some debug errors which I thought might be relevant):

DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control SomethingElse on dialog InstallTypeDlg extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 66 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: InstallTypeDlg, SomethingElse, to the right
DEBUG: Error 2888:  Executing the TextStyle view failed
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2888. The arguments are: TextStyle, ,
DEBUG: Error 2888:  Executing the TextStyle view failed
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2888. The arguments are: TextStyle, ,
DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control CompleteText on dialog InstallTypeDlg extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 66 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: InstallTypeDlg, CompleteText, to the right
DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control CustomText on dialog InstallTypeDlg extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 66 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: InstallTypeDlg, CustomText, to the right

And the actual error:

Error 1923. Service 'MSE Catalog Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
MSI (s) (8C:18) [14:37:55:748]: Product: Microsoft Managed Services Engine May 2009 CTP -- Error 1923. Service 'MSE Catalog Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

Error 1923. Service 'MSE Catalog Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
MSI (s) (8C:18) [14:37:57:014]: Product: Microsoft Managed Services Engine May 2009 CTP -- Error 1923. Service 'MSE Catalog Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

MSI (s) (8C:18) [15:06:01:139]: Product: Microsoft Managed Services Engine May 2009 CTP -- Error 1923. Service 'MSE Catalog Server' (Microsoft.MSE.Catalog.ServiceHost.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

Action ended 15:06:02: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 15:06:02: Rollback. Rolling back action:

Thanks in advance.