Source Code Availability

Topics: Usage Scenarios, Technical Questions
May 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM
We're looking at using Managed Services in our organization. 
I understand that it's still in the earlier stages of development and therefore there is not a great deal of documentation available.
We've read the 3 documents that are included (Technical Guide, Walkthrough and Installation) and those gave a decent, if vauge idea of what the thing does.  There are a number of things that aren't explained as of yet (e.g. Broker Mode vs Messenger Mode) and making inferrences on functionality based only on what is visible is a risky proposition sonce you never know if you've seen everything (therefore you can not infer the complete picture).

So I devided to go to the source so that I could take a run through it and see what's happening under the covers. 

I downloaded the source code using the SvnBridge.exe as instructed and got a solution with 2 projects.  However, There is a lot of code that is not represented in the download.

Microsoft.MSE.Repository.Database.dll
Microsoft.MSE.Logger.TraceListeners.dll
Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.Channels.dll
Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.Common.dll
Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.Policy.dll
Microsoft.MSE.Tools.Importer.dll
Microsoft.MSE.Tools.WizardFramework.dll
MSETestingPlatform.dll
RegExContentFilter.dll
Microsoft.MSE.Logger.LogDistributor.exe
Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.exe
MSEServiceTester.exe
Microsoft.MSE.ExceptionManagement.dll

I can run these through reflector to get the source, but that's a rather tedious process.  Did I make a mistake during the download process, or is the source code for this not available?
Developer
May 16, 2008 at 4:38 PM
Sounds like you downloaded everything correctly.  The service catalog is the only component we have released the source code for.  There are continuing discussions about opening more of the source code for related components around the service catalog.  For our May release we will be providing much more information on deployment scenarios (which is where broker mode and messenger mode become more distinct).  In addition, we are adding more samples that help explain how to extend the MSE.  As part of these samples, we provide backround on how the MSE works.  The first of these labs has already been posted (custom binding).

djessee wrote:
I understand that it's still in the earlier stages of development and therefore there is not a great deal of documentation available.
We've read the 3 documents that are included (Technical Guide, Walkthrough and Installation) and those gave a decent, if vauge idea of what the thing does.  There are a number of things that aren't explained as of yet (e.g. Broker Mode vs Messenger Mode) and making inferrences on functionality based only on what is visible is a risky proposition sonce you never know if you've seen everything (therefore you can not infer the complete picture).

So I devided to go to the source so that I could take a run through it and see what's happening under the covers. 

I downloaded the source code using the SvnBridge.exe as instructed and got a solution with 2 projects.  However, There is a lot of code that is not represented in the download.

MSETestingPlatform.dll
RegExContentFilter.dll
MSEServiceTester.exe

I can run these through reflector to get the source, but that's a rather tedious process.  Did I make a mistake during the download process, or is the source code for this not available?

May 20, 2008 at 9:33 PM

No worries.

I went ahead and opened everything in Reflector and did an Export to get the source.

botto wrote:
Sounds like you downloaded everything correctly.  The service catalog is the only component we have released the source code for.  There are continuing discussions about opening more of the source code for related components around the service catalog.  For our May release we will be providing much more information on deployment scenarios (which is where broker mode and messenger mode become more distinct).  In addition, we are adding more samples that help explain how to extend the MSE.  As part of these samples, we provide backround on how the MSE works.  The first of these labs has already been posted (custom binding).

djessee wrote:

MSETestingPlatform.dll
RegExContentFilter.dll
MSEServiceTester.exe