Astoria compatability

Topics: Usage Scenarios, Technical Questions
May 7, 2008 at 7:04 PM
Is the MSE compatible with ADO.net Data Services (Astoria)?

Since all of the URL's have to passed through to the channel for Data Services, I'm assuming it would require a custom channel.

Has anyone tried it?

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to put a SOAP Query operation on a service contract, then have the MSE take the query string from the operation call, and use that to build the URL for Astoria.

Is something like this in the plans?
Developer
May 9, 2008 at 3:37 PM
We haven't tried to wrap the Astoria interface and expose it as a SOAP/POX service, but you are right, it should be a custom channel. Similarly, if the MSE were to host an Astoria style service, this would be a custom binding that the Messenger Endpoint would use. This binding would need the appropriate encoders and formatters to handle the unique message structure. At that point, you could do anything you wanted with the message to push it to a service implementation.

For the SOAP Query, you certainly could expose a generic Query operation (similar to SPARQL) that accepted a string input and allowed a custom channel to translate any passed in values into the proper outgoing format... presumably a GET/POST with a query string. If you'll notice the sample binding lab we recently posted, the custom binding formats the received message as a url-encoded string and posts it to an html form, the string is placed in the body of the post, but it could easily stay as a query string.

ctinsley wrote:
Is the MSE compatible with ADO.net Data Services (Astoria)?

Since all of the URL's have to passed through to the channel for Data Services, I'm assuming it would require a custom channel.

Has anyone tried it?

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to put a SOAP Query operation on a service contract, then have the MSE take the query string from the operation call, and use that to build the URL for Astoria.

Is something like this in the plans?