NTService for MSE runtime question

Topics: Usage Scenarios, Technical Questions
Mar 13, 2008 at 3:08 PM
I'm curious to know the reasoning for hosting the MSE runtime as an NT Service vs IIS. My main concern is that the BizTalk Server Team decided to host R2 WCF services on IIS for WS-* and basicHTTP bindings. They opted not to host the WCF "web" endpoints in the BizTalk host environment even though it is EXTREMELY robust. The MSE runtime seems far less robust, and yet it's hosting all of these endpoints in one NT host process. Can someone on the team provide some insight into your thoughts around this?

Also, do you plan to allow for multiple host processes on one machine in the future (like biztalk)? The main two concerns here are isolating endpoints to a specific process, and memory constraints for a single process.

Additionally, what are your thoughts on hosting the services on WPAS/WAS (whatever it's called now) on Window Server 2008?

Thanks!
Developer
Mar 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM
This topic has come up previously (IIS/WAS). Please see the following thread:
http://www.codeplex.com/servicesengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=17815

Thanks,

ctinsley wrote:
I'm curious to know the reasoning for hosting the MSE runtime as an NT Service vs IIS. My main concern is that the BizTalk Server Team decided to host R2 WCF services on IIS for WS-* and basicHTTP bindings. They opted not to host the WCF "web" endpoints in the BizTalk host environment even though it is EXTREMELY robust. The MSE runtime seems far less robust, and yet it's hosting all of these endpoints in one NT host process. Can someone on the team provide some insight into your thoughts around this?

Also, do you plan to allow for multiple host processes on one machine in the future (like biztalk)? The main two concerns here are isolating endpoints to a specific process, and memory constraints for a single process.

Additionally, what are your thoughts on hosting the services on WPAS/WAS (whatever it's called now) on Window Server 2008?

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. That made your hosting decision clear for me.

BizTalk doesn't have the same usage scenarios, and there decision to push us to host the "HTTP" endpoints in IIS is likely based off of some unknown constraint.