Walkthrough - Please provide a valid metadata url

Topics: Usage Scenarios
Mar 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM
I am attempting the 30 min walkthrough but I am getting the following error on step 3 of the "Load the Initial Operation" section:

"Please provide a valid metadata url. Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

As a side note, I am also getting an error when opening the service import wizard saying the log file is full.

Any thoughts on what would cuase this?
Developer
Mar 11, 2008 at 6:04 PM
Just going on your information, I would first check to make sure your Application event log in Windows is not full. Please verify that this log is set to overwrite as needed. It would also be good to check the the same for the MSE Runtime and MSE Catalog event logs (if they exist).

Also check to make sure the recovery mode for the MSEDB database in SQL Server is set to Simple so you don't have to worry about your transaction log filling/growing.

jfinch wrote:
I am attempting the 30 min walkthrough but I am getting the following error on step 3 of the "Load the Initial Operation" section:

"Please provide a valid metadata url. Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

As a side note, I am also getting an error when opening the service import wizard saying the log file is full.

Any thoughts on what would cuase this?

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM
I tried all of your sugestions and still get the same error.
Mar 18, 2008 at 4:46 PM
I am attempting to uninstall and reinstall to see if that might fix the issue, but I am getting an error when it tries to delete the database. Says it can't connect to the SQL Server. Help please!! I can event uninstall now.
Developer
Mar 18, 2008 at 9:40 PM
Didn't mean to go dark on you for a few days there. We've been very busy with future updates.
Looks like you are having a real fun time now. What do you see in your Windows Application event log? There should be entries with a source of MSE Management Console. When you click on "Import New Service" you should immediately see an entry like this:
FileWorkSpace C:\Program Files\Microsoft Managed Services Engine was set successfully

Then when you specify the url to the wsdl and click next you'll likely either see an error entry with more information about the error or an informational message indicating it found an operation.

Depending on what you see in your log, perhaps there are other errors, we'll decide which issue to tackle (getting it working vs. uninstall).

Thanks!

jfinch wrote:
I am attempting to uninstall and reinstall to see if that might fix the issue, but I am getting an error when it tries to delete the database. Says it can't connect to the SQL Server. Help please!! I can event uninstall now.

Developer
Mar 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM
One quick comment about your uninstall problems, if you happen to be running SQL Server Express, you'll need to execute the uninstall like this:

msiexec /uninstall mse6.msi SQLSERVER=.\SQLEXPRESS

botto wrote:
Didn't mean to go dark on you for a few days there. We've been very busy with future updates.
Looks like you are having a real fun time now. What do you see in your Windows Application event log? There should be entries with a source of MSE Management Console. When you click on "Import New Service" you should immediately see an entry like this:
FileWorkSpace C:\Program Files\Microsoft Managed Services Engine was set successfully

Then when you specify the url to the wsdl and click next you'll likely either see an error entry with more information about the error or an informational message indicating it found an operation.

Depending on what you see in your log, perhaps there are other errors, we'll decide which issue to tackle (getting it working vs. uninstall).

Thanks!

jfinch wrote:

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM
I got a new computer over the weekend and I installed MSE with no problems. I think the errors I was seeing stemmed from the fact that I did not have SQL server running the first time I did the install on my other machine. I started SQL server and continued the install, but I have to think that is what gave me all the trouble. Everything is running great on my new machine. Thanks for your help.