Future of MSE

Topics: Technical Questions, Usage Scenarios
Oct 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Hello

We have a requirement to build a service bus for a .NET 4.0 based application. We have been exploring several options including Windows 2008 AppFabric, WCF Routing Services, and Managed Services Engine. Here is our understanding:

1.  Win AppFaric provides features such as HostingWF and WCF applications in IIS, Monitoring Features, and Caching Features.

2.  It may be possible to build a simple service bus using WCF routing services

3.  MSE is built on top of WCF 3.5 and appears to have some overlap with the above technologies

We want to better understand what problem MSE solves that Win AppFabric, and WCF routing services do not have. Does MSE have a future beyond WCF 4.0? Please advice.

Thanks

Rasheed

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:19 AM

we also waiting for some insights on the above points,

also we have some connecting parts in our architecture to BizTalk 2009 ( we know that from this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd727511.aspx) BizTalk 2006 integration is possible)

any one can point out any issues since UDDI become part of BizTalk and BizTalk 2009 integration ?

Thank you

sahridhayan

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:47 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2010 at 1:50 AM

We've implemented the MSE on a limited basis and based on in-house conversations with Microsoft reps MSE will go away and be absorbed by other "Product" technologies, specifically the Windows Server platform.  Based on what I've read of AppFabric and WCF, there will only be a small portion of functionality in the MSE not covered by other supported technologies.  When and how this all comes together, not sure.  Understood that this is Codeplex/MS Consulting release, but I've been disappointed with the guidance and lack of anything resembling a product roadmap.  Especially since this software has been featured in Microsoft publications.  I never really got the "use at your own risk" vibe from this one until recently.