This project is read-only.

Patterns and Use Cases

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:20 PM
In which scenarios would MSE be usefull and when should one rather intercepte the physical services?

Also, will you make it more easy implementing policies then hooking into the WCF channel? Something like a drag-and-drop pipeline in BizTalk?

/Casper

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:00 PM
Direct from the Technical Guide:
The Managed Services Engine (MSE) is one approach to facilitating Enterprise SOA through service virtualization. Built upon the Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and the Microsoft Server Platform, the MSE helps enterprises in not only jumpstarting their move to a Service Oriented model but also providing support to successfully manage the resulting massively distributed system. The MSE focuses on the “Service” and not just the “Message” or any other sub component. It fully supports service virtualization, which helps organizations deploy services faster, coordinate change management, and maximize the reuse of various service elements. In doing so, it provides the ability to support versioning, abstraction, management, routing, and runtime policy enforcement for Services.
As to your question about tooling for policy implementation, this is definitely a feature that we would like to impprove on. So please stay tuned.
Mar 31, 2008 at 8:56 AM
The ability to do routing caught my attention. Is that content-based routing you refer to and could you point to any samples. I'm working on a MSE policy where xpath expressions will decide where to route incoming messages through the virtual endpoints. I got 3 physical endpoints to choose from and they are all the same in terms of contract, except the address. Is routing pure vanilla WCF or MSE specific or a combination?

Regards,
Casper