Multiple instances of runtime service host on the same server

Topics: Usage Scenarios
Aug 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Edited Aug 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I have multiple domains setup on the same server like below:

• service1.mycompany.com
  • service2.mycompany.com
  • service3.mycompany.com

From what I understand I need to have different instances of runtime service host per domain since I see in Model Viewer, each RuntimeServer under Server column has a "host name" field. Is my assumption correct? My plan is to create three Messenger services and one Broker service on that same server.

If I can setup the above mentioned configuration, how can I install multiple instance of runtime service host on the same machine? To start I copied MSE to a different folder and tried to install it using installutil to no avail.

If what I'm thinking about this configuration is wrong, how can I go with configuring MSE properly on that server?

Thanks

UPDATE: After reading another thread, I now know that I can have more than one Messenger instance (Windows service) on the same server, I just need to figure out how to install the runtime Windows service with a new name. If installutil doesn't allow it, how can I do it?

Developer
Aug 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Here is a link that may help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/255056/install-a-net-windows-service-without-installutil-exe