Runtime engine can't find endpoints

Topics: Technical Questions
Jan 31, 2008 at 1:22 AM
On Vista I am working throuth the walkthru. After defining a runtime server and endpoints I can't browse the endpoint address.
The log says that there are no endpoints assigned. I have tried everything in the tech doc. Any ideas?
Developer
Jan 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Did you attach endpoints to the RuntimeServer. You can go to the RuntimeServer in MMC and see if there are any EndPoints associated.
Jan 31, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Yes they are there. I can use the service test harness to access the catalog server and find the runtimeserver and its endpoints. It is as if the runtimeserver cannot see the catalog server.
Feb 6, 2008 at 2:57 AM
Found the answer! The runtime server must be the same name as the host machine!.

This begs the question WHY? and if you can only have 1 runtime server why the name is created automatically!
Developer
Feb 7, 2008 at 7:53 PM
The name of the runtime server is allowed to be a different name than the host machine it is running on. The default behavior expects it to match the host machine, however if you update the Microsoft.MSE.Runtime.exe.config file you should see a Name element under the MseRuntimeConfiguration section: <Name i:nil="true" />

Changing this element, you can provide a new name for the runtime server (Dilbert): <Name>Dilbert</Name>
You will need to use this name when adding a runtime server using the Management UI and restart the MSE Runtime Server service.

When the runtime server connects to the catalog it uses this name to ask the catalog for the endpoints it should host. It is common for a Runtime server to run on a different machine than the Catalog server. When adding a runtime server we don't assume the runtime you are trying to add is the name of the machine running the Catalog server or the machine where the Management UI is executing from.

foleyp wrote:
Found the answer! The runtime server must be the same name as the host machine!.

This begs the question WHY? and if you can only have 1 runtime server why the name is created automatically!