Failed to import service into MSE [Failed to import service. Please check logs.]

Nov 19, 2007 at 4:17 PM
I have attempted the walkthrough several times, and I keep getting an error after the Confirm step to import the Calculator WSDL. Any ideas? Below is the log.

mseTraceSrc Start: 1 : MseRuntimeManager.ConfigureEndpoints for7397h91
mseTraceSrc Warning: 0 : No Endpoints assigned to MSE Runtime[
7397h91] in Catalog net.pipe://localhost/ServiceCatalog/Pipe - No Endpoints will be configured
mseTraceSrc Stop: 2 : MseRuntimeManager.ConfigureEndpoints for7397h91
mseTraceSrc Error: 0 : Notification Uri for MSE Runtime7397h91 is undefined.This MSE Runtime won't be able to receive catalog notifications
mseTraceSrc Start: 1 : MseRuntimeManager.ConfigureEndpoints for7397h91
mseTraceSrc Warning: 0 : No Endpoints assigned to MSE Runtime[
7397h91] in Catalog net.pipe://localhost/ServiceCatalog/Pipe - No Endpoints will be configured
mseTraceSrc Stop: 2 : MseRuntimeManager.ConfigureEndpoints for7397h91
mseTraceSrc Error: 0 : Notification Uri for MSE Runtime7397h91 is undefined.This MSE Runtime won't be able to receive catalog notifications
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2007 at 1:09 AM
It sounds like the importer is trying to assign the service to an invalid endpoint and the logs appear to confirm that no endpoints are assigned to your runtime server. If you repeat steps 4 -7 of the Create the First Endpoint section, you should be able assign it and then continue with the import step. As a last resort, if you can't figure out why the endpoint isn't configured correctly, you can also try deselecting the endpoint assignment in the importer and import the service. You can then assign it to the endpoint afterwards through the Snapin.
Nov 20, 2007 at 4:25 AM
I will definitely try this. Do you think it may have to do with the fact that I'm behind a proxy? Could it also have some interference from company firewalls or group policies on my workstation? Thanks.
Nov 20, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Edited Nov 20, 2007 at 3:47 PM
The "last resort" worked. I am still at a loss as far as what's wrong with my end points. When I try to browse my endpoints in the MMC, it returns an Invalid Hostname error. I'm sure this has something to do with listening ports or somthing. Any guidance would be great. Thanks.
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2007 at 9:24 PM
We just discovered that the port number we provided for the example URI for the endpoint in the walkthrough actually conflicts with the port hosted by the Service Catalog service. Try setting your endpoint to another port number and try it. That shouldn't interfere with the import process, but might be causing the problem with browing to the endpoint hosted by the MSE. Let me know if that remedies at least part of the problem.
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2007 at 7:11 PM
Are you running the MSE on XP? This shouldn't be an issue with Vista or Windows 2003, so I wanted to confirm the environment before documenting the issue.
Nov 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I am running on Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2). I did not have a chance to install MSE on my own machine to make sure there aren't some policy restrictions in place on my work machine. Holidays always get in the way of work! Thanks.
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2007 at 3:55 PM
This should only be an issue with XP as Windows 2003 and Vista are able to resolve the same port to different processes.
Apr 25, 2008 at 7:37 AM
Edited Apr 25, 2008 at 7:54 AM
I ran into the same problem. (You guys should update the walk-through.)

Changing the port number from 8090 to 8095 fixed the "invalid Hostname" error but now I am getting "Navigation to the webpage was canceled. What you can try: Refresh the page." When I click on the refresh link, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:54 AM
Disregard my previous post. I figure out what the problem was. Changing the port number requires restarting the MSE Runtime server. It would be nice if there was a informational popup notifying the user about this.

an_phu wrote:
I ran into the same problem. (You guys should update the walk-through.)

Changing the port number from 8090 to 8095 fixed the "invalid Hostname" error but now I am getting "Navigation to the webpage was canceled. What you can try: Refresh the page." When I click on the refresh link, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."