This project is read-only.

Hosting alernatives: IIS 7.0?

Topics: Technical Questions
Nov 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM
I see that MSE is hosted inside windows services (runtime, catalog). Are there any plans to make it possible to host the MSE components inside IIS? Or can this been done today?

I have a better 'feeling' hosting in IIS (7.0) than in a custom windows service.... (sorry ;-)
Nov 15, 2007 at 6:41 AM
No, there are no plans to host this in IIS. The virtual service paradigm is problematic to enable in IIS because of the need for dynamic URI's and runtime policy support. With IIS, URI's would have to be tied to VDir's which would mean needing to sync meta data, dealing with folders, dependencies, etc. We took this approach with an earlier version of the MSE (I think it was version 3) and it was just a mess. With the Service Host model leveraged through a windows service, we have the flexibility of defining endpoints dynamically based on meta data without jumping through those hoops. Also, the IIS policies would override the policy supported by the MSE which can create conflicts that lead to policy discrepencies and potentially undesirable results.
Nov 15, 2007 at 9:07 AM
Right. But only the runtime has to deal with dynamic endpoints and policies, right? So could the catalog service be hosted in IIS?
Nov 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM
Yes, I could see a scenario where you might want to host the Catalog Service in IIS, but we haven't done so. You can get the source for the service and give it a try - let us know how it goes if you do.