This project is read-only.

Distributed ESB

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:08 PM
It is possible to use MSE to make distributed ESB? I need that each web service call don't don't pass on central MSE but directly to the web service. It seems that MSE is become Hub/Spoke where every call have to pass there.
Nov 4, 2007 at 1:56 AM
It is possible to deploy the MSE in a variety of topologies (bus, hub-and-spoke, farm, etc), however, to take advantage of service virtualization you need something at runtime to host it and that is the Runtime Server in the MSE. Runtime Servers configured as Messengers can be distributed to clients and Runtime Servers configured as Brokers can be deployed to the app servers (both getting their configurations from the Catalog Service), essentially providing a physical point-to-point route between the two participants. We'll provide some additional documentation in the near future that expands upon the topology options available through the MSE.
Nov 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM
What about positioning of MSE with respect to BizTalk ESB Toolkit?
Maybe in this moment there isn't a great overlapping of functionalities, but the overall message is confusing. Which is strategically the Solution to go with to build an ESB on top of Microsoft Application Platform?

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:26 PM
SOA is not a single product solution, so if you are looking for one answer for everything SOA I'm afraid your search is in vain. If you want an ESB, please check out the ESB Guidance, but don't expect it (or any other ESB) to be a magic bullet for SOA. If you want service virtualization, please take a look at the MSE, also not a magic bullet :).
Nov 14, 2007 at 12:59 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2007 at 1:13 PM
But still it is a good point. Both products aim to solve some specific problem(s) in building and running a SOA. Why not offer one toolbox that allows a modularized installer and an integrated experience?

I could see on- and off-ramps inside the virtualization layer... I could see the (ESB) Xml Transformation and Exception handling services used inside the MSE...

I think it would be a good idea if the team MSE worked together with the ESB team to integrate their great ideas. That way the poor soules that have to make it all work (thats us ;-) are not constantly scratching their heads wondering if they used the right tool for the right job.

Of course SOA is not a (single) product but you build a SOA with products. So the better the products are (integrated, balanced, flexible) -offered by microsoft, the better we can apply them to build our SOAs.

(no response needed, just think about it ;-)
Nov 14, 2007 at 4:41 PM
When it will be available the documentation about the topology options?

Thanks